My primary affiliation is Head of Data Science in Bioinformatics at the Department of Computational Biology at the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ. In the near future, I will also hold the professorship Bio-Data Science at the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Leipzig, Germany.
In my research, I focus on Data Science methods, like Machine Learning and Data Integration, to boost the extraction of knowledge from human and environmental health Big Data sets. I apply and develop respective computational methods, mainly in the field of environmental and health research, to generate novel hypotheses and make predictions on a large scale. To increase the credibility of my AI approaches, I introduce explainability and methods for quantifying uncertainty into our applications. Further, I attach great importance to the principles of reproducible research.
My main interest comprise
- Deep computational investigation and functional prediction of RNA sequences and structures
- Development of AI approaches to predict functions or associations between biomolecules, biomolecules, and chemicals.
- Big data analytics of all kinds of omics data
I use state-of-the-art techniques and technologies for
- Code, software, text, and image (joint) developing and sharing
- Data storage, sharing, and access
- Agile project management and team leading